Friday, September 28, 2007

Returning home

Loud. Obnoxious neighbors. Huge electric bills. And above all, parking!

These were the everyday problems I faced living off campus. After one week in an apartment, I wanted nothing more than to be back in my residence hall.

The convenience of being right on campus takes away the stress I felt fighting for a parking spot each morning. I spend most of my time on campus, why spend all my time driving to it? I can jump out of bed and walk to class within a few minutes. If I did not get enough exercise walking to class, I can step outside and, instantly, I am on the Bear Trail!

There’s a sense of community in the halls. Where else can I leave my room and say hello to twenty of my closest friends? Need help with homework? There’s always someone who can help in the residence hall. I will never forget waiting twenty minutes for fresh cookies with my roommate in Memorial, or brushing my teeth with my suitemate. These are the memories that will stay with me forever!

My favorite thing about living on campus happens in the early evening just as the sun descends, as I walk back from the library. The air is crisp, there are few students out walking, and the lightning bugs flicker in the evening sky. A feeling of peace comes over the campus that contrasts the daily traffic of frantic students running to class.

At that moment, I realize how lucky I am to be at Baylor University.


Katy Chenoweth is a junior at Baylor University studying Classics, as well as a student worker for Campus Living & Learning. After spending a year off-campus, she now lives in Dawson Hall.

When she grows up, Katy wants to be a university professor.

No comments: